For those of you who know me well, you’ll know that wardrobe maintenance is one of my shout about style tips. Once you perfect your style DNA you should spend time building on what you have as by this point you will love all of your clothes and so every season a simple update here and there is all you’ll need. But with that in mind you have to look after your clothes otherwise you will be constantly replacing tired or damaged looking items. Or worse still there will be bits missing where they have been nibbled at by those pesky moths! Keep in mind that you need a wardrobe of clothes that you are going to be wearing for the next 3 to 4 months. Clothes you love and know how to wear. What you don’t need is a wardrobe full of clothes so you can’t see “the wood from the tress” or “the wool from the cotton.” Ideally you need to pack away your winter heavy weight clothes either into another wardrobe entirely or pack them away into storage boxes. When it comes to storing your cashmere or wool sweaters you must protect them first. What I would say is that moths have incredible style and taste and only choose your favourite jumper to nibble away at! So with all of this being said, here are my top tips to ensure that next winter you will be wearing your cashmere long before someone (or something!) else has got to it first:
- Always make sure your knitwear is clean before you store it as bugs like dirty clothes. Sometimes dirt isn’t always visible so I would clean all your knitwear first, just to be sure.
- Never store knitwear in plastic or polythene bags as your clothes need to breathe – you can buy garment bags especially designed for this.
- Place an anti-moth lavender sachet at the top of each storage box or in each hanging garment bag.
- I particularly like these wardrobe fresheners because when they stop working the word ‘END’ appears on the packet.
There are so many products out there so it is worth taking the time to investigate which ones are right for you but please ladies don’t purchase those cedar blocks that you buy once, forget about and in 10 year’s time find them hanging in your wardrobe at which point they are simply bits of wood that a moth would just smile at and think ‘really!’ My next task to get your items ready is to feed and take care of your handbags. I have typically owned most of my beautiful handbags for over 25 years and they still look like new. ‘But how?’ I hear you ask…
- Your handbags need cleaning and feeding. Whether you are putting away your dark, wintery styles for the season or you’re getting out your lighter pastel ones ready for Spring/Summer, now is the time to feed them and protect them.
- I particularly love the brand Collonil to achieve this and this leather cream is for feeding and cleaning your leather which you should once every two months especially for the handbags that you use on a regular basis.
- Use this waterstop treatment spray (again by Collonil) to protect your leather from getting stained. Before I venture out I always glance at the weather forecast and if it’s forecast to rain I will spray my handbag, shoes and even my trainers!
- For all of you ladies who fancy a white trainer this season, I would highly recommend that you put this white leather polish on your shopping list.
If you need a little bit more inspiration take a look a the video below where I talk about all of the above in a bit more detail…
By taking the time to store, clean and protect your clothes properly this season (and every other season too!) you’ll have a wardrobe full of clothes that you love wearing and will look like new every time you step out wearing them.